Wallace L. Downs
The Mission of the WLD Scholarship is to promote the institution of higher learning by providing financial assistance for qualifying Oak Ridge Baptist Church members, while keeping the legacy of Wallace L. Downs alive through the aid of the Holy Spirit.
The deadline for scholarships is July 15th and January 15th. The scholarship application is located in Forms / Templates under the Events tab. A new application must be submitted each semester along with your semester grades or academic transcripts. If you have any questions, please contact the Church Office or send an e-mail to email@example.com
Pastor Wallace L. Downs
In 1999, the Holy Spirit laid upon the heart of Pastor Ricky D. Turner to institute the Wallace L. Downs (WLD) Scholarship. Its purpose is to provide scholarships to deserving Oak Ridge Missionary Baptist Church members that meet a certain criteria to assist with their pursuit for higher education.
The WLD Scholarship was named after the late Pastor of Oak Ridge, Wallace L. Downs, who served as Pastor for 20 years. Pastor Downs was a huge proponent of education and took the education of his children, neighbors and parishioners very seriously. When faced with the adversity of segregation and his children’s education, he, along with other parents in his neighborhood, brought a class action lawsuit against the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education. This lawsuit charged the Board of Education of continuing certain alleged discriminatory practices in the administration of the Kansas City, Kansas school system. He organized sit-ins and protests during the three-year lawsuit to speak out against segregation. Downs v. Board of Education finally ended with a partial victory for desegregation of Kansas City, Kansas schools. Pastor Downs was an integral part of the Wyandotte County community, the Baptist community and to Oak Ridge. Although Pastor Downs went home to glory in 1993, his legacy of education and ministry lives on and has been recognized by Pastor Turner with the inception of the WLD Scholarship.
A criterion has been set in order to receive the scholarship and they are awarded each semester to a college student attending Oak Ridge. To date, we have awarded over 150 scholarships.
How to Qualify
- The recipient must be active member of Oak Ridge Missionary Baptist Church;
- You must be a graduating high school student with a 2.7 cumulative grade point average (GPA);
- A college student must have a 2.7 Cumulative GPA .
- The recipient must be age 21 and under (if over 21 must be continuously pursuing an undergraduate degree with minor disruption); and
- The recipient must be enrolled as or be a full-time student (12 credit hours or more) in an accredited college or university.
How to maintain eligibility
- The recipient must continue to be a full-time student, maintaining the required GPA.
- The recipient will have a full one-year waiting period to reapply for a scholarship, if recipient is no longer a full-time student (drops below 12 credit hours), or grades fall during the semester scholarship is awarded (semester GPA falls below 2.7)
How to Receive
- A graduating high school senior must submit a copy of his/her high school transcript along with a letter of acceptance from a college or university to the church office prior to the deadline.
- A current college student must submit a copy of his/her semester grade card to the church office prior to the deadline.